Profile picture for user sfunk420
Suzanne F. Family Member

Dad got an unexpect LVAD placed TODAY (May 17, 2012)

On April 30th, my dad suffered a massive heart attack. For the 2 1/2 weeks that followed, he was on a Vent, ECMO Machine, Balloon Pump, Dialysis, received 2 stents, and Chest tubes and hasn't been awake to talk to us once. But, finally, Today was the day! He had his surgery and I hope that he will be able to accept this device that he was unable to give consent on and won't know about until he wakes up.

I also would like to find more people in our area (with VAD'S_ who would be willing to talk to him about their experience (Cleveland, Ohio). His is an avid golfer and I know he will want to start golfing again right away (if possible). But, in all honestly, I just know he is going to be scared.

Does anyone have advice, comments, suggestions or anything for me to make this transition and the acceptance easier? He was perfectly healthy and I know this will be a HUGE change.

Profile picture for user feltingfool
Andrea M.

I wish you and your Dad all the best. I am getting my VAD on the 23rd of May. Knowing about it in advance is proving to be an unusual experience, not bad exactly, but definitely strange. I can't imagine waking up with it without prior knowledge of the things I've been learning about.

I hope someone close to you will step up and speak to him about life with a VAD.

I was very hopeful when I found this site and forums but when my intro went without responses, I figured it's just not very active here. Hopefully that means all the recipients are out doing better things...:)

Again, good luck.

Profile picture for user Scott_Reid
Scott R.

I got my lvad implanted march 15 at the University of Michigan. Because i got a brand new set of golf clubs from santa, I too was chomping at the bit to hit the course. I am also 25 years old and ,other then a viral attack on my heart that caused my heart failure, am physically fit. My doc has kept me on a short leash through out this process, but if were up to me I would have been out on the links 2months after. He finally ok it at 3 months and to start off I was rather sore... Now I am 4 1/2 months out and I can play 18 no prob. Go luck to u and your family! :)